Friday 15 November 2013

Cyclist are dropping like flys...


This week, has been a pretty horrific week for the cycle community, at last count it was 4 deaths, and 3 serious injuries. And its not been a particularly dangerous week, we had some rain, but generally dry, bright, and fucking cold. Before I really get into my rant, I am truly sorry about the deaths, I completely agree with The Foot Down,
"Today is a very very sad day, four people are dead; they got up, hopped on their bikes and never got to where they were going which is a really horrible thing"
But there are a couple things that wind me up. I am obviously a cyclist, and I believe that I am generally a pretty good cyclist, I as fast as I can, brakeless, and without a helmet, so yes I am a dick, and I admit that, but this is how I ride and I like it. When everybody is looking to blame TFL, or Borris, or the road networks, or whoever then I think I have to deal with all those things, as well as my own stupidity and I'm alright (so far, touch wood, please don't jinx me) yes I agree that these things play a part in everything, but (as I commented once) people makes mistakes, most the time they get away with it, sadly sometimes they don't. In my stupidity I have been hit 3 times, once a twat cabbie clipped me cause he didn't give me enough space, however I was a bit drunk so didn't have the warewithall to correct myself, once a lorry turned right on me by Holborn, I saw him in time, swerved, got clipped, slammed, but was fine and dandy, and thirdly I was pegging it, couldn't stop in time (and this was when I rode with brakes) and a VW turned in front of me, so I slammed into the side, spiderman jumped over the car, and again fine and dandy. I boast of these crashes, a) just to boast, b) my accidents have been partly my stupidity and c) I have avoided a far worst situation, by my awareness. I cant help but think that most of these accident would be avoided if people were more aware, obviously this works both ways, but we are the ones who will get squashed, so we need to be far far more aware, no road network, cycle path etc will ever eliminate that. Ive seen a few accidents, and sadly in honesty they have always been 99% cyclist stupidity. We are not faultless and certainly not indestructible. Think that covers it. Now, just wonder if wearing my 'Death to Roadie' may be a bit inappropriate, didn't think about that when I got up this morning...

No comments:

SEARCH

I DON'T ALWAYS NO WHERE I GET STUFF FROM OR WHO TAKES WHICH PICS, SO THIS IS MY GENERAL DISCLAIMER, IF YOU WANT CREDITING, THEN DROP ME A EMAIL AND I'LL FIX IT